Monday, February 4, 2013

Toor Dal Tadka (Dahl)

We had some friends came around for dinner not so long ago and I cooked an Indian feast. As part of that feast was this delicious Toor Dal Tadka which is from the book I bought myself called 'Food Safari', it was meant to be made with yellow split peas but I used red lentils instead.

Toor Dal Tadka

Ingredients

250g toor dal (yellow split peas), washed and drained (or you can use red lentils)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 litre water
6 cloves garlic
1cm piece ginger
salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (I used yellow as I couldn't get the black ones)
2 teasoons cumin seeds
2-3 dried chillies
8-10 curry leaves (I didn't use these because I didn't have any so I used 2 tablespoons of curry powder)
1-2 teaspoons chilli powder
pinch of asafoetida powder (didn't use this- didn't have it)
200g chopped tomatoes (I used tin)
coriander leaves

Method
Put the toor dal (lentils or split peas), turmeric and water into aheavy based saucepan and boil for 45-60 minutes, or until they are soft when pressed between the thumb and index finger.
Meanwhile, pound the garlic, ginger and a good pinch of salt to a paste in a mortar. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over low heat. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop. Add the cumin seeds, dried chillies, curry leaves (or powder), chillie powder, asafoetida and ginger and garlic paste and fry until fragrant. Stir into the dhal.
Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serves 4-6




No comments:

Post a Comment